Fried Tom Yam Prawn Bee Hoon by Colleen Teo
-100 grams rice vermicelli (rice noodles/米粉) aka “bee hoon”
-1 tbsp cooking oil
-3 shallots sliced thinly
-3 cloves garlic minced
-6 fresh shiitake mushroom caps sliced thinly
-Sauce A -2 level tbsp instant tom yum paste to taste dissolve with 150 ml hot water
-1 tsp Feng H Garden Dark soy sauce
-1/2 tbsp fish sauce
-12-15 prawns veins and shells removed
Serving suggestion :
-Chopped spring onions
1. Soak the rice vermicelli in a bowl of water for about half an hour, until the noodles are fully reconstituted. For instant rice vermicelli, they require less than 5 minutes of soaking. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok, stir fry shallots until they start to soften. Add garlic and stir fry until fragrant.
3. Add prawns. When they are cooked, set them aside on a plate.
4. Add mushrooms (add a bit more oil if required) and stir fry until softened.
5. Add Sauce A and bring to a gentle simmer. Then add the softened rice vermicelli.
6. Cook until the noodles have soaked up all the water and is of a dry consistency. Stir in the plate of previously cooked prawns; stir fry briefly to mix everything thoroughly.
7. Serve and garnish with coriander/spring onions, fried shallots and lime.